If you have been following the EverQuest Classic project you know that it is closed source and all of Yeahlight’s work is given to another developer who will either continue the project or let it die.
1) Play with the old EverQuest Trilogy client straight from install. No file modifications needed.
2) Play just like it’s 1999. This time EXACTLY like 1999, except in the Velious expansion. Could change this to vanilla if anyone wanted.
3) You can use the old UI and gaming system. Buffing NPCs and other fun tricks from the original game.
4) See old models work as intended without glitchy or forced monster models.
5) The mirror of your character in your inventory works!
6) No strange glitched out models when getting too close to them like in EQMac.
7) Can run on older hardware. Slower PCs with older 3D cards.
8) Can run on older operating systems like Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME.
About the Source Code
The way the source code was given has errors and uses VERY old code. I managed to repair several files so it can at least compile and allow a few people to log in. I did include the database files for items, NPCs, tradeskills, accounts etc. Recently I fixed the /tell crash if target is null, and have gotten quests for Perl working. There are just lots of small bugs. If you want a full list of the bugs, visit the GitHub source code page using the links below.
Server and Client Setup
If you are going to host this server and connect on your own computer, don’t forget to change the eqhost.txt file to reflect the server IP. See the screenshots below for an example.
Once that is setup, open your login.exe, world.exe and boot5zones.bat and leave these windows open as this is your server.
The Trilogy Client Files are only needed if you are using anything newer than Windows XP (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10). If you are using Windows 95 you are all set. If you are using Windows XP you will need to set compatibility mode for Windows 95. If you are using Windows 95 or XP and want to use a Windowed mode, then yes you can use the Trilogy Client Files to achieve this.
Does not work in a Virtual Machine!
If you plan on building the server files yourself, please follow the directions on the GitHub source code page for build instructions.
For any other required files, please go to: http://newagesoldier.com/myfiles/openeqc
If you want to REALLY play like 1999 (before any expansion) you are going to want to modify the eqfeart#.pak files with EQ-Zip.
For example, here is the REAL 1999 login screen:
Example of the REAL 1999 start screen:
You will find this file in the eqfeart1.pak file. So copy this to your desktop and open eqfeart2.pak which will contain the newer Kunark login screen. Rename your login image file to eqklogin and overwrite the file in eqfeart2.pak and save. Now you have the real 1999 login image. Same goes with the loading image and any logos used for the expansions.