With the recent take down of Nostalrius, I personally had no idea there were Vanilla World of Warcraft servers or how popular they really were. Kinda similar to EverQuest and Project 1999 with 1300-2000+ players.
So first, we need to pick a popular server, one that we can have equally as much fun on. Some servers will have what’s called FUN aka faster leveling and faster gear etc. or the way I prefer Blizz aka normal.
Differences between Vanilla and Live
– Hunters need to purchase quivers and arrows
– Hunters need to manually click melee attack from range attack if monsters get close.
– No Pandas, Death Knights, Troll Druids, Goblines, Worgen
– Simpler UI, but can still use addons
– Server(s) are independently owned
– Free to play
– No auto group finding system (more social as a result)
– No patches, ever.
How to play
- Download the Windows Client or Mac Client.
- Register an account on the realm provider’s website. Choose one above.
- Go to your World of Warcraft 1.12 folder and edit the realm.wtf file with notepad and change the server according to the realm provider you chose from above.